Reading "The White Ship" by H.P. Lovecraft (Week 01)

I've been reading it for three times to fully understand the whole story. There are a lot of words that I needed to check out, since I'm an international student. I think it's basically a story about a man who feels alone and bored to do his job as a lighthouse keeper. He dreams of getting out of his little place and explore the wider world outside. He dreams of exciting adventures. He achieved it by meeting a bearded man in a white ship. He was taken to all those wonderful places and returned back at his little lighthouse at the end. The one thing that came up to my mind after reading it for couple times, is there are many beautiful descriptive words for environments and characters. I think there are way too many of them. It highly disturbed me from willing to finish reading it. It is great to have beautiful description in one or two specific places, but I feel like the whole story is built up with those words. It might be because the author himself wants to write a pretty and poetic story. However, I think it would be way better to put more words in the middle of the story, which is the part of actually being in those wonderlands. It would be more interesting when it has more details, describing it. Maybe, it's also because, the author wanted to write a short story. I wasn't surprised with the ending of the story, that everything was just some kind of a dream or mystic adventure. It would also be way more interesting when he would cut down some of the descriptive words and put more effort at the end, such as adding a twist. Adding something that people wouldn't think about. Maybe it's also the way how people write horror stories back in the old days. These are only my opinions though.

Comments

Popular Posts